Sunday, September 16, 2012

Let's Go, Buffalo!


I grew up in Steeler country, back in the days of Terry Bradshaw, Franco Harris, and Lynn Swann.  When we settled in western New York in the mid-'80s, I started hearing about another football team: the Buffalo Bills.  I didn't pay too much attention to them at first, but by then end of the '80s and the beginning of the '90s, they were impossible to ignore.  I remember buying our first little Buffalo Bills sweatshirt for the spirit days they had on Fridays when my oldest child was in kindergarten.  From then on, we never looked back.  Despite the four Super Bowl losses and many other heartbreaking losses in the years since then, we've never stopped rooting for the Bills.  We watched training camp on hot summer afternoons when it used to be held at SUNY Fredonia and waited in line for autographs after the practices; we bought Flutie Flakes and more Buffalo Bills jerseys and t-shirts and hats and wall hangings and mugs than I can count; and all three of my kids have been to Ralph Wilson Stadium in Orchard Park to watch the Bills in person.  My middle child, who is, by far, the biggest Bills fan in our family, is there today.  For his sake and all the other loyal Bills fans at the game, I hope they pull off a win.  But even if they don't, we'll all keep cheering for them and believing that the next win, the next playoff run, and the next Super Bowl are just around the corner.  Let's go, Buffalo!

No comments:

Post a Comment