Saturday, July 14, 2012

Queen Anne's Lace


Queen Anne's Lace has a fragrance as delicate as its wispy flowers.  Yet it grows just as well in rocky, roadside ditches as it does in peaceful, sunny meadows.  When we were kids, my mom used to put freshly-cut Queen Anne's Lace in tall Tupperware cups, each with a different shade of food coloring mixed with a bit of water.  Before long, we had lacy flowers in pastel shades of blue, green, yellow, and pink.  When my kids were little, I did the same thing, wanting to pass along to them something I'd learned from my mom.  Every year when I see Queen Anne's Lace blooming, I think of Mom and how she has thrived and survived in all the places she's been planted--that's another thing I hope I've learned from her that I can pass along to my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment