Saturday, September 14, 2013

School Lunches


Our little elementary school had no cafeteria, so if you weren't a "walker," you carried a lunch box, paid a nickel for a little carton of milk, and ate in the classroom. I had a Peanuts lunch box and matching thermos. In those days, thermoses had glass liners, so they didn't usually last as long as the lunch box; if you banged your lunch box around a little too much on the way to school, you'd find shards of broken glass mixed in with whatever you had in your thermos. Most days my lunch box contained a peanut butter sandwich wrapped neatly in waxed paper, but once in  a while I agreed to bologna on squishy white bread with Miracle Whip. In the days before blue ice cold packs, my mom froze water in an old Bactine bottle and tucked that into my lunch box in hopes of keeping my sandwich cool until lunchtime. To go with my sandwich and milk, I had fresh or canned fruit and something sweet for dessert--usually cookies, sometimes little cans of pudding, or if I was really lucky, a Hostess Ho-ho! I loved those little foil-wrapped rolls of chocolate cake and white filling. To make mine last longer, I peeled off the outside layer of chocolate and ate that first, then I carefully unrolled the cake and ate it as slowly as I could. Our elementary school was barely a block from our town's main street, and kids who had money and a note from home got to eat "over town" at the Amber Grill. Eating in town was a rare treat in our family since extra dollars for hamburgers, fries, and a vanilla coke were few and far between.  But every once in a great while, usually when my dad was in charge of the lunch packing for some reason, we would unwrap our sandwiches and see a woven potholder tucked between the two slices of bread along with a dollar and a note giving us permission to go to town for lunch. Part of the fun of eating over town was stopping at Kenny Wilson's candy store on the way back to school for a pack of Sprees or a strip of Zotz candy to keep in your desk and nibble on during the long afternoon hours. Field trip days usually called for bagged lunches (no lunch boxes), and I suppose I usually took my lunch in a plain brown paper bag with my name printed neatly on the front, just like everyone else did, but one time--maybe it was the year my grade got to go to Old Economy--my mom decorated the front of my bag with a garland of flowers.  I loved that bag, not just because it was pretty and festive, but because my busy mom took a few extra minutes to make something special for me to remind me she would be thinking of me when I was on my field trip. It was the same with finding a potholder sandwich and a dollar bill in my lunch box on days my dad was in charge of things. He could have just given us the dollars and notes in the morning, but instead he took a few extra minutes to do something only he would do and made a memory that would last a lifetime. Of course I didn't know it at the time, but those school lunches were doing more than filling my stomach--they were etching a lifelong place in my memory, and they were teaching me about the kind of parent I wanted to be.




11 comments:

  1. Mindy, you have such a way of weaving your memories in with mine and bringing a tear to my eye! I love that you have the bag that your mother decorated for you on that beautiful day, many moons ago. I, too, treasure my lunch box memories. My favorite sandwich of all, was the "Butter-Sugar" sandwich. It was, as the name implies, butter, spread on white bread, with sugar sprinkled on the butter. It was cut in two, vertically. (my mom never went for the diagonal cut for some reason!). I usually had a Hunt's chocolate pudding in a can, and a chocolate milk with my lunch. I would get a different lunch box from year to year, but my favorite had to be my Snoopy lunch box, with a denim look, that zipped open and closed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle,
    Our memories overlap a lot--so much in common! And I know the butter-sugar sandwich well! So good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, I'll have to share with you a story I wrote a long time ago in a creative writing class entitled "Butter-Sugar Sandwiches".

      I want to thank you for the beautiful thoughts you share with everyone. Your blog is something I completely and utterly relate to, and look forward to, reading.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much, Michelle! I'd love to read your Butter-Sugar Sandwiches story!

      Delete
  3. You SAVED that bag from Mom? I am insanely jealous! What a treasure! Remember how the Bleggis always got THREE Ho's Ho's? Michelle - you are the luckiest girl in the world to get SUGAR SANDWICHES! We made them ourselves sometimes, but always had to do it sneakily when Mom and Dad weren't watching. Dad (who had it) would always say "You are going to get diabetes!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim, your dad was right about the diabetes part! Butter-sugar sandwiches, chocolate milk and chocolate pudding (and creating the LOVE for such stuff in my body and mind) did successfully give me diabetes! :-(

      Delete
  4. PS - Min, I do at least still have my matching lunchbox.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tim,
    The lunch bag was in my valuable property box! But I don't still have my lunch box (I got that picture from a Google image search)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...that is cool! (Do you still have the $50 emergency money from Dad?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My eating of Ho Ho's was even more complicated, cause I liked the cream filling the best, so I would scrape the filling over until I mostly had filling and a bit of cake at the end. I usually had a peanut butter and potato chip sandwich - still like to do that on the rare occasion I buy chips! :)
    You do have a gift with words, and it's a pleasure to read your memories and recall those days.
    Kris L

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha. Love this Ho-ho-eating technique, Kris! And thanks for the kind words. I ate peanut butter and jelly, peanut butter and marshmallow fluff, and peanut butter and pickle, but never peanut butter and potato chips! (I still eat all of my peanut butter combos, too!)

    ReplyDelete