Saturday, June 2, 2012

Kayaking, Prince Edward Island, and Pizza with Black Olives

I think one of the most unnerving things about this stage of my life is that I don't quite know who I am anymore.  When you become a parent, you do what’s best for the family, which often means putting your kids’ needs ahead your own.  You tend to do what they like to do, go where they like to go, and fix what they like to eat. This all worked out pretty well for me over the years for several reasons.  First, it made life easier.  Second, if my kids were happy, I was happy.  And third, one of the great things about having kids is that they end up leading you in all kinds of directions you never would have gone in on your own.  However, as I've discovered recently, somewhere along the way while I was doing things with and for my kids, I kind of lost track of myself.  And now without their plans and schedules and preferences guiding me, I feel a little disoriented.  I don’t know what I want to do or where I want to go or even what topping to order on my pizza.  But I'm thinking it's about time to start finding out . . . .



  


No comments:

Post a Comment